We're looking for a full-stack software engineer who loves product. (Python/Django)
As engineer number 7, you'll work directly with the founders and the rest of the technical, design, product and styling team in our office in East London to build the core features that will improve people's wardrobes and in turn their self-confidence and happiness.
You won't merely be handed specs: you'll be in charge of taking ideas from the whiteboard all the way through to them being live, tracking the results, and iterating to make them better. For this reason, this role is only suitable for someone who likes being closely involved in product — what to build and how it will work, as much as the technical implementation itself.
Beyond your engineering teammates, you’ll be working closely with a cross-discipline group of designers, quantitative marketers, operations experts and stylists. You should love the idea of the whole company working closely together to hit shared goals.
This role is especially suited to someone who wants to found their own startup one day. All our current team are future founders and we view working here as an entrepreneurial bootcamp that will give you the necessary skills and experience to launch your own company in the future.
Not your average software engineering role
One of our ancillary goals is to build one of the best engineering teams and cultures anywhere in the world. We're lucky to already have a number of exceptional developers on the team which you'll get to work alongside, learn from and no doubt teach. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best engineers around this role would be a good fit.
You’ll work everyday with an awesome technology stack consisting of Python, Django, Git, Debian, Redis, React, Jenkins, PostgreSQL, Gunicorn and many other things.
Our engineers regularly contribute to open source projects as part of their job. We encourage contribution and community participation and we release our own open source projects on GitHub.
We place a high value on learning and personal growth, so you’ll have time to learn new technologies in work time and attend conferences at the company’s expense. We also host a bimonthly meetup at our offices for engineers interested in startups called Many to Many to learn from.
Beyond this, you will get the chance to demonstrate your deep technical ability by taking on some hard technical challenges such as recommendation algorithms and machine learning. We release 70+ times per week (just push to master), so your cool new features will be live on the site within moments.
Are you the one? You are, if you
- Love agile development, working independently on your own challenges, and together in a team on the bigger vision
- Are completely fluent in at least one scripting language such as Python, Perl, PHP or Ruby and have experience with web frameworks and the MVC concept
- Have used MySQL or PostgreSQL extensively and you know your way around Apache, nginx or other server
- Get excited by the idea of scaling web apps to millions of users
- Often find yourself teaching your peers about new technologies and frameworks, and want to be at a place with other curious engineers where you can learn and grow as a person
- Have a thirst to learn new skills and technologies, and can pick things up easily. We'll consider any level of experience, from graduate to a senior engineer
- Want to have fun building lots of new features and get stuff done
- Are full of positive energy, relish the thought of being part of a small, fast-moving team and enjoy brainstorming about new ideas
- Opportunity to become recognised as one of the best in your field through being a core developer for a high-profile startup
- Relaxed, sociable work environment with lots of freedom and independence
- Building an exciting app that millions of people will use and appreciate everyday
- Gain first-hand experience of how to start, grow, market and raise funding for startups (perhaps useful for your own company one day)
- Working with awesome technologies (Python, Django, jQuery, Debian, Git, Redis, Jenkins, Postgresql, Gunicorn)
- As part of one of the top technical teams in the UK, alongside super smart people who have a lot of fun, devoid of any politics
- With dual-widescreen monitors, a new computer of your choice and a comfortable ergonomic chair
- Free team lunches once a week (we take turns choosing), drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, monthly company trips to fun things like comedy shows, unlimited vacation time
- Being part of a company where you will get to help set and shape the company culture in a big way
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Thread.