We’re looking for a Buyer/Product Developer who has great taste and strong commercial awareness to help grow and develop our Private Label brands.
At Thread, we’re helping people to feel happier and more self-confident by making it easy to dress well. We do this using a combination of human stylists and powerful machine learning algorithms to recommend each guy the perfect things just for them—in their size, budget, and style—which they can then buy in one place.
After being founded in 2012 we’ve since raised £10M in funding and grown to 600,000 men in the UK using the service. We're backed by a collection of the top institutional and angel investors in London, New York and Silicon Valley. The founders are experienced entrepreneurs who have built multiple companies that acquired millions of users.
Early on in Thread’s growth, our leadership team identified the opportunity to use data to understand exactly what clothing our users want, and create it for them. They set out to launch a private label menswear business which would fulfill our customer’s needs. MVP was their first brand to launch last year and has been successful in providing basic menswear products for our customers. Its collection size has since grown exponentially, with new categories such as footwear being launched this year, and plans for additional brands with varying price points and aesthetic to launch across 2018/19. As MVP continues to grow and be a significant focus for Thread, we’re looking for a talented individual to assist on the development and production lifecycle for the Private Label brands.
In this role you would work closely with our Head of Private Label, Kirsty Dodson, who has a wealth of experience in Menswear. Your role will be fast paced, autonomous and varied, with the potential to work across different types of product and brands, designed for various target customers. It’s also an opportunity to be part of helping to establish a team from the start of its existence. Designing and developing process, and shaping best practice for the team as it grows. If you are highly organised, fast paced, driven, reliable, and keen to learn, this role could be for you.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Working with product range plans to build design briefs by category. You’ll need to consider product and price balance, fit, style, fabric, colour and seasonal/replenishment needs
- Managing a seasonal critical path for both development and production. You’ll also work off cycle on short lead time product
- Day to day communication with overseas external partner
- Negotiating cost, quality, lead times and general process in line with brand standards and requirements
- Cost engineering, including landed cost and target margin management
Are you the one? You are, if you:
- Have 5 years of experience in product development or buying within Menswear
- Have demonstrated experience, and a strong understanding of, managing a critical path
- Have a sound understanding of Menswear and the design process. We want you to make meaningful contributions to product design decisions
- Have superb attention to detail; nothing gets past you
- Possess exceptional communication and negotiation skills. You’re professional and effective both over the phone and email, helping you to ensure that we achieve lead times, margin & quality targets
- Have great taste and strong commercial awareness to assist in balanced decision making for the product and the brands
- Are comfortable working independently, you’ll thrive off of the autonomy and responsibility that comes with working in a fast-growing start-up, but you’ll also love collaborating and being part of a team
- Constantly think about how we can improve our processes; never be satisfied with a process that isn’t perfect
- Have a low ego and be adaptable to change - we’re growing fast and that means that every day brings a new set of problems to solve and questions to be answered. We need someone who will take the rough with the smooth and work at 100% in all situations
- The opportunity to become recognised as one of the best in your field through being a core member of a high-profile startup
- We've been slowly hand-picking an all-star team, so you'll get to work with incredibly high calibre colleagues across a wide range of disciplines such as styling, fashion buying, data science and marketing
- Relaxed, sociable work environment with lots of responsibility and autonomy
- Gain first-hand experience of how to start, grow, market and raise funding for technology startups (perhaps useful for your own company one day)
- Being part of a company where you will get to help set and shape the company culture in a big way. Learn more about what we’re trying to do in our culture deck
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)
- Free team lunches four times a week, drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, monthly company trips to fun things like comedy shows, choose your own work equipment, unlimited vacation time
If this sounds exciting and you’d like to discuss some more, please apply below.