We’re looking for an experienced and highly analytical Merchandising Manager to help us provide the best selection of stock to our customers
At Thread, we’re helping people to feel happier and more self-confident by making it easy to dress well. We do this using a combination of human stylists and powerful machine learning algorithms to recommend each guy the perfect things just for them—in their size, budget, and style—which they can then buy in one place. Most guys want to look good but don't particularly enjoy shopping, so we believe if we get this right we can create the new default for how hundreds of millions of people across the world buy their clothes.
After being founded in 2012 we’ve since raised £10M in funding and grown to 600,000 men in the UK using the service. We're backed by a collection of the top institutional and angel investors in London, New York and Silicon Valley. The founders are experienced entrepreneurs who have built multiple companies with millions of users.
At Thread we believe that modern data science can revolutionise merchandising—automating most numerical decisions—leaving the merchandiser to make higher level strategic decisions and provide bespoke analytical insight. We’re looking for a Merchandising Manager who shares our vision and wants to be part of creating a cutting-edge commercial team at Thread.
Initially a one person team, you’ll work closely with our Business Development and Private Label teams to figure out which stock we should have to provide the best experience for our customers. This involves developing range plans across both branded product and private label, helping the Business Development team to decide where to focus their efforts, and working closely with brands to get the right stock in. You’ll work with our data science team in developing powerful algorithms to turn as much of this into a science as possible.
You'll be responsible for:
- Developing range plans to ensure we’ve got the right stock for our customers
- Managing stock risk and working capital
- Developing forecasts for new buys until we’re able to fully automate them
- Working closely with our data science team to improve forecasting and automate processes for in-season replenishment
- Identifying opportunities to bring in additional stock in-season
- Performing ad-hoc analysis and running trade meetings to support decision making in the Business Development and Private Label teams
Are you the one? You are, if you:
- Are an experienced range planner
- Have previously worked with a multi-brand retailer
- Have 4 -10 years of experience in a merchandising function
- Are highly analytical and default to using data for decision making
- Are proactive in your communication, making sure your colleagues always know what’s going on
- Are comfortable with technology, and can either already write SQL to access data from a database, or would be excited to learn how
- Want to help build a cutting edge merchandising team based on increased automation
- Have an interest in fashion
- Your work will help millions of people to feel happier and more confident about themselves
- The opportunity to become recognised as one of the best in your field through being a core operator for a high-profile startup
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skillset
- Be part of a values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we’re doing this in our culture deck
- Gain first-hand experience of how to start, grow, market and raise funding for startups (perhaps useful for your own company one day)
- Dual-widescreen monitors, a new computer of your choice and a comfortable ergonomic chair
- Free team lunches four times a week, drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, monthly company trips to fun things like comedy shows, choose your own work equipment, unlimited vacation time
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)
If this sounds exciting and you’d like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Thread.