We’re looking for a Merchandiser to help us build and manage the perfect product range for each and every one of our users.
At Thread, we’re helping people to feel happier and more self-confident by making it easy to dress well. We do this using a combination of human stylists and powerful machine learning algorithms to recommend each guy the perfect things just for them—in their size, budget, and style—which they can then buy in one place, from our range of over 40,000 items from over 400 high street, premium and in-house brands. Most guys want to look good but don't particularly enjoy shopping, so we believe if we get this right we can create the new default for how hundreds of millions of people across the world buy their clothes.
At Thread we believe that modern data science can revolutionise merchandising - fully or partially automating most numerical decisions - leaving the merchandiser to make higher level strategic decisions and provide bespoke analytical insight. We’re looking for a Merchandiser who shares our vision and wants to be part of creating a cutting-edge commercial team at Thread.
Reporting into the Merchandising Manager, you’ll work closely with our Business Development and Private Label teams to figure out what stock we should invest in to be able to provide the best experience for our customers. This involves developing range plans across both branded product and private label, helping the Business Development team decide where to focus their efforts, and working closely with brands to get the right stock in. You’ll also work with our data science team in developing powerful algorithms to turn as much of this into a science as possible.
All in all, this presents a unique merchandising challenge. To solve it we intend to blend top- notch fashion merchandising expertise with cutting edge data science, reinventing merchandising for the digital age as a result. We’re looking for a merchandiser who has the drive and ability to be part of making this happen.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Creating range plans based on detailed analysis of customer data including for our private labels, both existing and new
- Working with data scientists to identify range opportunities
- Quantifying and sizing orders
- Managing availability, cover, sell through, pricing and markdown through decision making and implementation rather than just making recommendations
- Partnering with the Operations team to manage the critical path, RTVs and replenishment
- Constantly iterating on our tools and processes for managing inventory and margin to ensure our merchandising function is as efficient and effective as possible
- Reporting on trade performance
- Creating a merchandising reporting suite in order to analyse performance
- Designing and conducting bespoke analysis to solve problems and assess growth opportunities
- Communicating performance and results of analysis across the company
Are you the one? You are, if you:
- Have several years fashion merchandising experience, menswear strongly preferred
- Have experience at a pure play online retailer or significant exposure to the online channel elsewhere. Experience at a multi-brand retailer preferable
- Have experience of planning, forecasting and trading, ideally including own label range planning for a brand or a retailer’s private label
- Are highly analytical and default to data for decision making
- Are super organised and love working in a fast-paced environment
- Consider yourself to be a relentless optimiser
- Are comfortable with technology and can either already write SQL to access data from a database, or would be excited to learn how
- The chance to break new ground and develop cutting-edge merchandising techniques
- The opportunity to become recognised as one of the best in your field by being a core operator for a high-profile startup
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skill set
- Be part of a collaborative, values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we’re doing this in our culture deck
- Relaxed, sociable work environment with lots of responsibility and autonomy
- Free team lunches four times a week, as well as fruit and snacks. We also have drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, as well as regular company trips to fun things like comedy shows, axe throwing, quizzes, bowling and weekly yoga classes
- Choose your own work equipment. It’s important to us that you’re set up for success in your role and comfortable in your setting
- Working-from-home opportunities and flexible working hours, to help you develop a healthy work-life balance
- Unlimited vacation time so you can recharge and relax
- Equal parental leave. We offer 4 months fully paid leave for both mothers and fathers following the birth or adoption of their child
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)
If this sounds exciting and you’d like to discuss some more, please apply below.