We’re looking for a talented engineer to work on the algorithms at the heart of Thread.
At Thread, we’ve set out to rethink the shopping experience from the ground up, helping people feel happier and more self-confident in the process. Using a combination of expert stylists and machine learning algorithms, we bring people a small, highly personalised selection of the perfect clothes just for them – in their size, budget and taste. By doing so we simplify the shopping process, help people to feel more comfortable in their own skin, and allow them to go out into the world with a spring in their step. It also removes the need to spend Saturday afternoons frustrated by busy high street stores, or spend ages browsing the overwhelming number of options available online. We believe having an intelligent assistant in your pocket is how the majority of people will shop in the future, and we’re looking for a talented engineer who wants to help millions of people discover its value.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join us and become Thread’s first dedicated algorithms engineer! We’re looking for an engineer to focus on Thread’s recommendation algorithms, our recommendation service “Thimble”, and our many other algorithmic data-products. You’ll work with our Data Scientists to improve and iterate our personalisation algorithms which are core to our product, so that we can serve high quality AI-driven clothing recommendations to men and women in the UK and internationally. The role will report into and work closely with our Head of Data, Ed Snelson and also work cross-functionally as part of our wider Product org alongside our talented product designers, product managers, frontend & backend developers.
The purpose of your role will be to enable much faster iteration cycles when upgrading the capabilities of our production algorithms, and to support our wider Product org in enabling completely new algorithm-driven product experiences. Examples of this might include a new type of recommendation for our users, or new way for our users to interact with and discover our products & outfits.
Your role may include:
- Working closely with our Data Scientists to iterate and improve our core recommendation algorithms
- Implementing new algorithm driven product experiences
- Improving and upgrading “Thimble” as a recommendation service via better: monitoring of live algorithms (quality diagnostics), monitoring of latencies and latency improvements; interfaces between ML models & services and observability & explainability of algorithmic results
- Working on diagnostics tooling to enable us to discover causes of common algorithm related UX problems and iterate on recommendations much faster
- Working on infrastructure to enable us to deploy richer model features (e.g. user / item embeddings)
- Working on improving the quality, reliability and monitoring of our model-training pipelines
- Improving our real-time data pipeline integration for easier event-based feature development
You may be a fit for this role if you…
- Have a minimum of 2 years experience in industry as a software engineer
- Are passionate about engineering with a focus on algorithms / numerical code
- Have past experience working with numerical libraries, data, optimisation, latency-sensitive code, algorithmic monitoring etc
- Have a strong interest in machine learning / AI and want to learn more!
- Have some knowledge and ideally experience of “ML-ops” i.e. building, deploying, maintaining & monitoring ML models & algorithms in production
- Care deeply about the craft and quality of engineering, whilst at the same time being pragmatic and excited by working in a fast-paced startup environment and the trade-offs that entails
Talented engineers can work anywhere, so why choose us?
- Opportunity to become recognised as one of the leaders in your field through playing a key role in the future growth of a high-profile startup
- Learn from some of the best product people in the industry by working directly with our exceptional team: Kieran O’Neill (CEO) has built two products that scaled to millions of users; Ed Snelson (Head of Data Science) worked on some of the hardest machine learning challenges at Bing; Tom May (Head of Product & Growth) led growth at Songkick; Alexandra Allcott (Head of Brand) helped build some of the world’s biggest brands at Wieden+Kennedy; Terry Betts (Head of Business Development) ran the £500m menswear business at Selfridges and co-founded Mr. Porter; etc.
- Be part of a values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about what we’re trying to do in our culture deck.
- Informal, non-hierarchical, non-political, sociable work environment with lots of autonomy and independence
- We’re looking for people who want to help shape the broader company and culture. Being part of the Thread team is an interactive experience – we all help to evolve the culture. We don’t want passengers
- Gain first-hand experience of how to start, grow, market and raise funding for startups (perhaps useful for your own company one day)
- Even when we’re not fully remote, we offer working-from-home opportunities and flexible working hours, to help you develop a healthy work-life balance
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you’re working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)