We’re looking for a passionate iOS engineer to help us evolve Thread into the number one clothing app on the App Store.
Thread is an ambitious, well-funded fashion technology startup based in London.
We use machine learning and stylists to recommend the perfect clothes for each person. Now that ML exists we believe the concept of a generic multi-brand store no longer makes sense—we’re giving everyone their own store, where everything suits them, fits them and goes with their existing wardrobe. There’s a $10bn+ opportunity globally to build the DeepMind of retail, and we’re leading the way. In summary, we’re working to reinvent one of the biggest industries in the world and help millions of people feel more self-confident in the process!
We’re looking for a world-class, passionate iOS engineer to help us evolve Thread into the number one clothing app globally. This is a great opportunity to help shape our iOS culture and technical decisions before the team grows further. The first version of our app is showing great traction and so work done at this stage is crucial to Thread’s future.
We want to raise the bar for online shopping apps by delivering breakthrough, AI-assisted personal styling in the shape of a world-class iOS app with outstanding user experience. We are at the early stage of our iOS team, with the vision of gradually scaling towards a model in which iOS expertise is ubiquitous in our product teams and takes part in designing every aspect of the Thread product, albeit maintaining its unique identity.
You’ll work on our main, 100%-Swift iOS app, as well as on a new, very exciting partnership that is yet to be disclosed. You will be involved in all the aspects of the app’s development, from high-level architecture to low-level optimisations. The role isn’t to convert specifications into code: engineers at Thread are involved in the process from start to finish, helping figure out what to build, not just how to build it.
Your role will be to...
- Design, develop, test and deploy high-quality, clean and maintainable Swift code.
- Help turn the Thread app into an exceptional experience for our iOS users.
- Contribute to shaping the app’s architecture to support future scaling of the team and the user-base.
- Proactively propose and implement ideas on how to improve the codebase.
- Work closely with designers, product managers and other engineers to research, design and implement new features.
- Be an advocate of the iOS platform in a cross-functional team, promoting best practices and outstanding user experience that feels at home on iOS.
- Be empathetic in collaborating with and supporting other colleagues while working towards a common goal.
- Consider and lead on improvements to our processes at different levels: in the iOS team, the broader Engineering and Product teams, and Thread as a company.
You may be a fit for this role if you…
- Have a solid experience developing native iOS apps in Swift. Ideally, you have worked in iOS teams deploying and maintaining medium to large-size apps on the App Store.
- Care deeply about your craft and naturally write clean, testable and maintainable code.
- Write automated testing as part of your regular workflow and are familiar with testing practices on iOS.
- Share a passion for crafting great UX on iOS, according to Apple’s HIGs and best practices.
- Enjoy the challenge of designing clean code to implement complex UI layouts.
- Understand concurrent programming.
- Work well in teams and are able to communicate ideas effectively in both technical and non-technical discussions, both verbally and written.
- Are autonomous in picking the right work to do and manage time effectively.
- Want to work in a team that values clear and empathetic communication.
- Thrive on learning and are eager to share knowledge, constantly improving the code quality, practices, and processes across the team.
- Provide a crucial contribution to building a top-class iOS app
- See your ideas become reality and truly transform how Thread works
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skill set
- Be part of a collaborative, values-led team that is working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we’re doing this in our culture deck
- Relaxed, sociable work environment with lots of responsibility and autonomy
- Free team lunches four times a week, as well as fruit and snacks. We also have drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, as well as regular company trips to fun things like comedy shows, axe throwing, quizzes, bowling and weekly yoga classes
- Choose your own work equipment. It’s important to us that you’re set up for success in your role and comfortable in your setting
- Working-from-home opportunities and flexible working hours, to help you develop a healthy work-life balance
- Unlimited vacation time so you can recharge and relax
- Equal parental leave. We offer 4 months fully paid leave for both mothers and fathers following the birth or adoption of their child
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)