At Thread, we’ve set out to rethink the shopping experience from the ground up, helping people feel happier and more self-confident in the process. Using a combination of expert stylists and machine learning algorithms, we bring people a small, highly personalised selection of the perfect clothes just for them—in their size, budget and taste. In doing so we simplify the shopping process, help people to feel more comfortable in their own skin, and allow them to go out into the world with a spring in their step. It also removes the need to spend Saturday afternoons frustrated by busy high street stores, or spend ages browsing the overwhelming number of options available online.
After initially taking part in Y Combinator, we've raised £30M in financing from some of the world's top investors, including Balderton, Beringea, H&M, the co-founders of DeepMind, the former Design Director of IDEO, the founder of Lovefilm, and many others. We’re up to 1 million customers and growing quickly. Our long-term goal is to grow that to more than 100 million people worldwide.
We are looking for a Head of Operations to lead our fulfilment, supply chain and customer support teams. As Head of Operations, you will have three main objectives. You’ll be enabling Thread to scale 10x by making sure we have the capacity to grow, and you’ll take charge of helping us achieve our stretching efficiency targets. You’ll also be responsible for giving our customers an amazing order experience from the moment they’ve clicked “buy”.
In this role, you will be responsible for the strategic development of the operations function, as well as the day to day performance and the development of the team. You will focus on UK and USA operations and be responsible for the inbound and return supply chain, third party fulfillment operations, customer support and care, and take responsibility for product management for the tools that the Operations team use.
What the Head of Operations will need to do:
- Strategy & Planning: Create the multi-year strategy for operations at Thread, including what to insource and outsource. Plan the operations OKRs.
- Operational management: Be the clear “owner” for all of the post-order processes and their performance, delivering results on a daily basis. Directly manage a growing operations team and provide them with clarity, structure and support.
- Process improvement: Redesign our processes to continuously step-change the performance of our operations “machine”, to enable us to hit our productivity, scaling and service level targets. This means analysis, mapping, re-design, training and execution across our internal and outsourced team.
- Customer experience: Own the customer experience once a customer has hit “buy”. You’ll be responsible for making it amazing!
- Communication: Engage and mobilise a large team to deliver results, and convince others from across the business to give them the resources (time / focus / resources) that they need to succeed.
- Analytical thinking & decision making: Our business can get complicated, so the Head of Operations will have to be very strong analytically. They’ll need to be familiar with Excel, and preferably some experience of using SQL.
Are you the one? You are if you:
- Have experience of running an operational function in a high growth consumer start-up environment or have experience in an operational role within a consumer business, taking responsibility for daily operational KPIs or P&L management.
- Have experience in an operational/process improvement role; you’ll love to study, understand and improve our operational processes to find ways to improve both productivity and customer experience. This involves analysis, mapping, re-design, training and execution across our internal and outsourced team
- Bring experience managing third party logistics and/or a customer support team
- Are highly analytical; you’ll be very familiar with Excel, and probably have some experience of SQL
- Have strong leadership skills; you’ll ideally have led a reasonably large and diverse team and will demonstrate empathy in your approach. You’ll deeply understand how to get the best out of your team
- Are a quick learner, and a fast iterator. You’ll get to grips with our business quickly and enjoy improving processes and ways of working
- Are a strong communicator. You’ll engage and mobilise a large team to deliver strong results and be comfortable communicating with various stakeholders across our business
- Have prior experience working in a tech company as a PM or engineer (this would be ideal, but isn’t essential!)
- See your ideas become reality and truly transform how Thread works
- The chance to setup systems and processes from scratch
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skill set
- Be part of a collaborative, values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we’re doing this in our culture deck
- Relaxed, sociable work environment with lots of responsibility and autonomy
- Free team lunches four times a week, as well as fruit and snacks. We also have drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, as well as regular company trips to fun things like comedy shows, axe throwing, quizzes, bowling and weekly yoga classes
- Choose your own work equipment. It’s important to us that you’re set up for success in your role and comfortable in your setting
- Working-from-home opportunities and flexible working hours, to help you develop a healthy work-life balance
- Unlimited vacation time so you can recharge and relax
- Equal parental leave. We offer 4 months fully paid leave for both mothers and fathers following the birth or adoption of their child
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you're working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)