At Thread we’ve set out to rethink clothes shopping for the digital age. By combining talented stylists, powerful AI, and a marketplace with one of the largest fashion ranges in the world we’ve created a truly unique online platform that gives everyone in the world their own personal clothes store.
A store where everything suits you, fits you and works with what you already own. A store that gives you confidence in the choices you are making, inspires you to step out of your comfort zone and helps you feel your best every time they get dressed.
Over 1 million people and counting use Thread. We’ve recently launched womenswear which is growing faster than our menswear business and, for 25% of our customers, we’ve become the only way they shop.
There’s a $10bn+ opportunity globally to build the Spotify of retail, and we’re leading the way.
We’re looking for a passionate iOS engineer to help us evolve Thread’s app into THE clothing app on the App Store. You’ll be the first hire in a brand new iOS team and be responsible for shaping our iOS culture and technical decisions as we grow the team further this year and beyond. We’ve just released a new version of our app that is showing great traction. We see the app as critical to Thread’s future and we’re looking for somebody to own mobile engineering and help fulfill the vision of our app.
Our brand new Swift codebase is highly modularised, designed to scale and built directly on top of the latest iOS frameworks, including SwiftUI and Swift Packages. We have a clean and tidy App Delegate class, we have continuous integration for builds and all App Store uploads are automated in CI. We make use of code generation for all of our API types and calls, as well as for our translated strings and asset catalog references. We only support iOS 14 and above and are only committed to support the current and previous iOS releases. We also have zero build warnings!
We want to raise the bar for online shopping apps by delivering breakthrough, AI-assisted personal styling in the shape of a world-class iOS app with outstanding user experience. We are at the early stage of our iOS team, with the vision of gradually scaling towards a model in which iOS expertise is ubiquitous in our product teams and is involved in designing every aspect of the Thread product whilst also maintaining its unique identity.
Contribute to building world-class iOS app
- Help turn the Thread app into an exceptional experience for our iOS users.
- Design, develop, test and deploy high-quality, clean and maintainable Swift code.
- Write and maintain automated tests.
- Contribute to shaping the app’s architecture to support future scaling of the team and the user-base.
- Proactively propose and implement ideas on how to improve the codebase.
- Write and maintain outstanding internal documentation on the implemented technical decisions.
Be an integral part of the product team
- Be empathetic in collaborating with and supporting other colleagues while working towards a common goal.
- Work closely with designers, product managers and other engineers to research, design and implement new features.
- Be an advocate of the iOS platform in a cross-functional team, promoting best practices and outstanding user experience that feels at home on iOS.
Understand our users
- Be passionate about Thread’s mission.
- Develop a deep understanding of our users’ needs.
- Actively use the app to understand its current limitations and future potential.
Own and evolve the iOS engineering team processes
- Push our bar on how we execute as an iOS team.
- Perform regular and thoughtful code review.
- Communicate effectively with a high signal-to-noise ratio in both technical and non-technical discussions, both verbally and written.
- Consider and lead on improvements to our processes.
- To excel in this role we are looking for:
- Demonstrates solid experience developing native iOS apps in Swift.
- Cares deeply about their craft and understands the benefits of clean, testable, modular and maintainable code.
- Values the importance of automated testing and is familiar with testing practices on iOS.
- Shares a passion for crafting great UX on iOS, according to Apple’s HIGs and best practices.
- Enjoys the challenge of implementing complex UI layouts.
- Understands the challenges of concurrent programming.
- Is able to give an in-depth explanation of a past project they worked on, including reasons why they made decisions. Will have a passion for discussing it.
- Can demonstrate working well in teams (open source, professionally, educationally, or otherwise).
- Is able to pick the right work to do and manage time effectively.
- Is compassionate towards others, cares about their colleagues and wants to help build a safe place for engineers to work.
- Thrives on learning and improving, and is curious about all aspects of iOS development.
- Shows curiosity towards profoundly understanding the context of any given problem.
- Is willing to contribute to building a world-class iOS app.
- Experience working on a large-scale iOS project.
- Significant experience with Objective-C (though our app is 100% Swift).
- Experience as iOS engineer in a cross-functional setup, with feature/vertical teams.
- Experience with CI tools and pipelines for iOS.