We’re looking for a talented email/notifications specialist to join our Product Growth team to own our key re-engagement channels.
Thread is an ambitious, well-funded fashion technology startup based in London that's looking to reinvent retail.
We’ve set out to rethink the shopping experience from the ground up, helping people feel happier and more self-confident in the process. Using a combination of expert stylists and machine learning algorithms, we bring people a small, highly personalised selection of the perfect clothes just for them – in their size, budget and taste. By doing so we simplify the shopping process, help people to feel more comfortable in their own skin, and allow them to go out into the world with a spring in their step. It also removes the need to spend Saturday afternoons frustrated by busy high street stores, or spend ages browsing the overwhelming number of options available online. We believe having an intelligent assistant in your pocket is how the majority of people will shop in the future, and we’re looking for a talented email and notifications specialist to help us reach and retain millions of customers worldwide.
We’re focusing on building a global product that becomes the “clothes” button on peoples’ phones, similar to how Spotify, Netflix, or Uber are for music, TV, and taxis. To succeed, the Product Growth team is building a growth engine that will scale our product to millions of people worldwide. This doesn’t mean just chasing vanity metrics or wasting time on quick hacks. Instead, we aim to optimise our acquisition channels, product UX, and retention drivers as part of a single system.
As Thread’s owner of email and notifications, your role will be to build and optimise a world-class customer lifecycle programme as part of this broader system. Email and push notifications – and probably other messaging channels in the future – form a critical part of our strategy to drive long-term retention. We think there’s a massive opportunity to leverage our extensive dataset and data science expertise in order to create highly personalised, useful, and engaging notifications for our users. You’ll be the person making this happen.
You’ll collaborate extensively with our engineering, design, marketing, and content teams, leading a small cross-functional growth team focussed on email and notifications. You’ll be the owner of our email and notifications strategy, our backlog of experiments and platform improvements, and overall channel performance.
You’ll be based in our new Aldgate office, which has lots of natural light, plants, a relaxed Studio area for co-working with music, and an outdoor terrace for barbecues and working outside when it’s sunny.
Your role will include:
- Shaping the vision and long-term strategy for the email and notifications experience for Thread users, encompassing tech requirements, creative, analytics, and new industry developments
- Leading a cross-functional Growth team focusing on notifications; owning the backlog, prioritising projects based on cost, impact, and risk of different opportunities and projects
- Accountability for the performance of email and notifications (and other messaging channels in future)
- Innovating and pushing the boundaries of how we speak to customers. For example, experimenting with new channels like WhatsApp or exploring machine learning-led approaches to optimising emails
- Experimenting with and optimising the content, targeting, and send times of our messaging
- Testing and developing our audience strategy, with custom optimised messaging flows for different segments of our audiences
- Being the company-wide expert on email deliverability and inbox placement, and optimise this with your team
- Ensuring there is extreme clarity across the business on your team’s progress, plans going forward, and channel performance
- Doing relentless user research and data analysis to drive qualitative and quantitative insights
- Running your team’s product development process, optimised for clarity, impact, and sustainability throughout
This role may be a fit for you if...
- You have prior experience working on lifecycle marketing programmes within B2C companies, ideally where this is a key strategic channel.
- You have a deep understanding of the domain and are up-to-date with the current best thinking
- You have great growth instincts. You’ve got a flair for bringing together a deep appreciation of users’ goals, preferences, and habits with an expert understanding of channel and product opportunities to drive significant, sustainable growth over the long term
- You’re interested in developing as a Product Manager. We don’t require any past experience as a Product Manager, but this role would be ideal for someone who’s interested in developing in that direction
- You have strong analytical skills. You’re comfortable talking cohorts, segments, and funnels. You can run a lot of analyses yourself and collaborate effectively with analysts on more challenging analytical problems
- You value making hard prioritisation decisions and maximising the impact of everyone around you
- You can inspire your team. You strive for clarity on the “why” behind every project and collaborate with your team to solve problems, rather than just apportioning tasks.
- You’re comfortable communicating a clear, compelling vision for your team’s destination
- You’re empathetic, able to balance multiple points of view, and have effortless conversations with all functions across the company
- You’re incredibly organised: a master of email and to-do lists
- You love taking ownership of hard problems and are motivated by driving outcomes
- You have an appreciation for good design. You don’t need to be a designer, but you should share our aesthetic and know great design when you see it
- Opportunity to become recognised as one of the leaders in your field through playing a key role in the future growth of a high-profile startup
- Learn from some of the best product people in the industry by working directly with our exceptional team: Kieran O’Neill (CEO) has built two products that scaled to millions of users; Ed Snelson (Head of Data Science) worked on some of the hardest machine learning challenges at Bing; Tom May (Head of Product Growth) led growth at Songkick; Alexandra Allcott (Head of Brand) helped build some of the world’s biggest brands at Wieden+Kennedy; Tim Grimsditch (CMO) helped grow Spotify to hundreds of millions of users; Terry Betts (Head of Business Development) ran the £500m menswear business at Selfridges and co-founded Mr. Porter; etc.
- Be part of a values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about what we’re trying to do in our culture deck. Informal, non-hierarchical, non-political, sociable work environment with lots of autonomy and independence
- We’re looking for people who want to help shape the broader company and culture. Being part of the Thread team is an interactive experience – we all help to evolve the culture. We don’t want passengers.
- Gain first-hand experience of how to start, grow, market and raise funding for startups (perhaps useful for your own company one day)
- Free lunch together as a team four times a week, drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, monthly company trips to fun things like comedy shows, choose your own work equipment, no set working hours, unlimited vacation time
- Choose your own work equipment. It’s important to us that you’re set up for success in your role and comfortable in your setting
- Working-from-home opportunities and flexible working hours, to help you develop a healthy work-life balance
- Unlimited vacation time so you can recharge and relax
- Equal parental leave. We offer 4 months fully paid leave for both mothers and fathers following the birth or adoption of their child
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you’re working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)