We’re looking for a talented Interim General Manager to begin to scale Thread to millions more users in the USA.
At Thread, we’ve set out to rethink the shopping experience from the ground up, helping people feel happier and more self-confident in the process. Using a combination of expert stylists and machine learning algorithms, we bring people a small, highly personalised selection of the perfect clothes just for them—in their size, budget and taste. By doing so we simplify the shopping process, help people to feel more comfortable in their own skin, and allow them to go out into the world with a spring in their step. It also removes the need to spend Saturday afternoons frustrated by busy high street stores, or spend ages browsing the overwhelming number of options available online.
After initially taking part in Y Combinator, we've raised £30M in financing from some of the world's top investors, including Balderton, Beringea, H&M, the co-founders of DeepMind, the former Design Director of IDEO, the founder of Lovefilm, and many others. We’re up to 1 million customers and growing quickly. Our long-term goal is to grow that to more than 100 million people worldwide.
We are looking for an Interim General Manager to lead our newly launched USA business. In short, the GM be responsible for setting the strategy and delivering results- setting us on the path to building a £200m business by 2022.
The ideal candidate will have particular strengths in strategy and leadership; a big part of the role will be to mobilise and engage the business to deliver a plan in a matrix structure. They’ll need to be adept at developing a strategy, getting people excited about it, working with others to set the ambitious goals required by that strategy and then holding people across the organisation to account to achieve and deliver those goals. We expect they’ll have experience leading a business unit in a high growth business and experience engaging a large number of matrix stakeholders who they rely on to achieve their results. They’ll take responsibility for developing the customer proposition: identifying the customer segment we are pursuing, then working with the Marketing team to get the brand positioning and messaging right and the Commercial and Styling teams to get our range, price and promotions strategy and styling content spot on.
This is a unique opportunity to accelerate a newly launched business at a very early stage in its journey, and play a crucial role in shaping the future direction Thread from the ground-up. You’ll lead on finding product market fit for Thread in the USA. This role will be based in our Aldgate headquarters, with travel to the USA (most likely NYC area) as required.
Strategy & Planning:
- As GM, you will develop the winning strategy and objectives for Thread’s US business on a 3+ year timescale. You will align key stakeholders across the whole business on the level of ambition and the part that they need to play for us to succeed (including KPIs and targets). You’ll have a full understanding of the tradeoffs we are prepared to make, and the priorities we need to set to make our business successful and achieve our goals
- You will also lead decision making on the USA operating model and proposition, involving relevant stakeholders as and when it’s appropriate. You’ll be a key part of the decision making process for cross functional budget allocation (with the goal of achieving US P&L level targets)
Leadership, mobilisation and engagement:
- You will lead the US focussed (/part-focussed matrix) team day to day. You’ll ensure everyone understands what they need to do and how it fits into the overall strategy- and be the number one person to get people excited about the US and mobilise them to deliver the results we need
- You will be accountable for our overall USA performance. You’ll report on USA performance to stakeholders (COO, CEO, the wider leadership team and the board), and are responsible for delivering a P&L and business goals in line with the budget
- You’ll ensure we act proactively and in a co-ordinated, cross-functional manner, to look ahead and mitigate any risks to delivering the plan. You’ll find the resources to deliver on any urgent projects which are incremental to the plan. And you’ll escalate performance challenges in time for others to act
- You will work closely with the People team and each of the functional leads to develop a hiring plan. You’ll be the driving force behind hiring for key roles to ensure the US is a success whether they’re US specific hires or within-function hires
Are you the one? You are if you:
- You have led a function or business unit in a high growth consumer business (especially a marketplace) (e.g. as a GM, MD, Operations Director, Commercial Director, Product director etc.)
- You have achieved results in a matrix-structured organisation
- You have developed/launched/refined a customer proposition or brand to as part of a new market launch or growth strategy
- You have experience of working in a technology company (particularly in Growth, or as a PM/Engineer)
- You’ve got excellent analytical skills, probably from time spent in a top Strategy consulting firm or investment banking
- Have led a large and diverse team (with responsibility for lots of people)
- Experience in fashion is a plus, but not essential
- The chance to help build an amazing business from scratch
- The opportunity to become recognised as one of the best in your field through being a core operator for a high-profile startup
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skill set
- Be part of a values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we’re doing this in our culture deck
- Relaxed, sociable work environment with lots of responsibility and autonomy
- Free team lunches four times a week, drinks and snacks together as a company on Fridays, free weekly yoga class, regular company trips to fun things like comedy shows, choose your own work equipment, unlimited vacation time
- A competitive salary