We are looking for someone recently or part-qualified with strong intellect and high potential to join as a member of the Finance Team at Thread. Reporting into the Financial Controller, and starting with responsibility for day-to-day transactional finance and aspects of the month-end, the Financial Accountant’s role is expected to develop rapidly to take on more of the core accounting responsibilities relating to the month-end process, systems and controls. Within a 6 - 12 month period the expectation is the Finance team will grow, and an additional head will take over execution of the day-to-day transactional activities. As a pivotal member of a small team, the Financial Accountant will have built a solid foundation in transactional accounting while increasingly partnering with the FC and FD in running the finance function and building the finance team of a high-profile, high-growth tech startup.
The ideal candidate should have a keen interest to learn how to run the accounting function in a tech business, a solid understanding of financial operations, some practical experience, and strong motivation to develop themselves. The Financial Accountant is expected to have strong attention to detail, be thorough and dependable, and be able to deliver consistently in a fast paced start-up environment. They should be proactive in their role, communicating updates on progress/issues, and continually looking for ways to improve the function and their remit.
- Financial Reporting
- Preparing the monthly financial results, working to continually improve and automate the process to allow for faster and better quality reporting. Month End responsibilities include:
- Sales and return reconciliations
- Reporting on operational costs of sale
- Balance sheet reconciliations for fixed assets, cash, prepayments and intercompany loans
- Working cross functionally with business to understand and capture any accruals
- Investigating and understanding any discrepancies in stock, working closely with the Operations team
- Working alongside the FC and FD to prepare month end packs for presentation to the management team and board, and responding to any queries on these
- Supporting the year end audit
Controls and Compliance
- Taking an active responsibility in ensuring that the Financials are accurate, reliable, and compliant. Working closely with the Financial Controller to embed initiatives to help to continue to support this.
- Acting as a key point of contact to our auditors and other external parties.
- Helping other teams in the business with cost and budget queries
- Supporting the Financial Controller in initiatives through the financial year to allow for business change and progression
Transactional Finance – oversee and manage the end-to-end invoicing process for a 6-12 month period
- Be the primary contact for any finance related supplier queries and queries about payments within the business.
- Set-up and process weekly pay runs, ensuring all supporting documentation is available to allow for a smooth approval process
- Prepare weekly bank reconciliations and to ensure that all payments are recorded and reconciled accurately and on a timely basis
- Coordinate and manage refunds process for JIT partner stock
- Automate and systemise process as much as possible with a view to supporting a future junior hire to support within 6-12 months
- ACA or CIMA qualified
- Extensive experience in an accounting role, a practice background with some experience in tech and/or retail would be ideal
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Comfortable working with large volumes of data, with strong Excel skills to support this
- High attention to detail
- A self-starter who is enthusiastic about taking responsibility and ownership over the month-end-process
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify and escalate issues
- Hands-on, practical problem solving and process improvement skills
- A strong communicator who is comfortable partnering cross functionally with non-Finance members of the business
Nice to have:
- Experience of ERPs (Xero/ NetSuite)
- Knowledge of SQL
- Knowledge of Looker