At Thread we’ve set out to rethink clothes shopping for the digital age. By combining talented stylists, powerful AI, and a marketplace with one of the largest fashion ranges in the world we’ve created a truly unique online platform that gives everyone in the world their own personal clothes store. A store where everything suits you, fits you and works with what you already own. A store that gives you confidence in the choices you are making, inspires you to step out of your comfort zone and helps you feel your best every time they get dressed.
Over 1 million people and counting use Thread. We’ve recently launched womenswear which is growing faster than our menswear business and, for 25% of our customers, we’ve become the only way they shop. There’s a $10bn+ opportunity globally to build the Spotify of retail, and we’re leading the way.
We’re hiring a Backend Software Engineer to both help support the product team’s various goals and to help us improve and maintain engineering’s systems. You will work in a cross functional product team, reporting directly into our Head of Product Engineering and Founding Engineer, Tom Okas. This is an exciting new role as we enter a rapid growth period!
- Help build world-class product features
- Help turn Thread into an exceptional experience for users
- Be part of a pod working towards a shared objective
- Be responsible for delivering both improvements to existing features as well as shipping new ones, taking concepts all the way from ideation to delivery.
- Contributing to software design and architecture, for both your own projects and those of others.
- Ensuring that code you write is maintainable, easy to read, and pleasant to iterate on
Help maintain and improve our systems
- Understand how the backend systems work and continually work on improving them
- Take interest about the latest methodologies and technologies in operations, web, and systems. Knowing when to apply them, or when to reach for mature, stable choices.
- An awareness and understanding of technical operations and infrastructure - how their work interacts with our infrastructure, and (optionally) the desire to work on contributing to our infrastructure.
- Similarly an awareness and understanding of frontend technologies and architecture is desirable but not required.
Contribute to the engineering team processes
- Help push our bar on how we execute as an engineering team
- Perform regular, thoughtful, thorough and compassionate code review
- Communicate effectively with a high signal-to-noise ratio in both technical and non-technical discussions, and both verbally and written
- Consider improvements to our engineering processes (for example: how we do code review)
- Help out with hiring through coding test reviews and potentially interviewing and other assessments
Understand our user
- Understand our customers deeply by taking part and reading user surveys, etc.
- Take part in and read the results of discovery work to gain more insight.
- Bring this insight and empathy to all projects
- Using your knowledge and insight of how our systems function and interact to suggest potential solutions to user-problems
Be an integral part of the product team
- Support other members of the pod
- Make the pod better by suggesting ways to operate more effectively and efficiently
- Talent is more important than experience, so we’re open to anybody (even zero professional experience)
- They must have demonstrated working well in teams (open source, professionally, educationally, or otherwise) and have contributed solid code
- Must care deeply about their craft, and show a love of beautiful code and architecture
- While we don’t require experience in Python or Django, our candidate must have demonstrated deep knowledge in some area of software engineering.
- This can be seen through work or personal projects that the candidate has either owned or had significant responsibility for. They should be able to explain in depth about the project, reasons why they made decisions, and have a passion for discussing it.
- Must thrive on learning and improving, and be curious about all aspects of software engineering
- Must be willing to operate in a fast-paced, results-oriented, “Test & Delivery” environment - validating hypotheses quickly, then delivering robust versions of successful experiments
- Must be compassionate towards others, caring about their colleagues and want to help build a safe place for engineers to work
Talented engineers can work anywhere, so why choose us?
- Opportunity to become recognised as one of the leaders in your field through playing a key role in the future growth of a high-profile startup
- Be part of a values-led team that is working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about what we’re trying to do in our culture deck.
- Informal, non-hierarchical, non-political, sociable work environment with lots of autonomy and independence
- We’re looking for people who want to help shape the broader company and culture. Being part of the Thread team is an interactive experience – we all help to evolve the culture.
- Even when we’re not fully remote, we offer working-from-home opportunities and flexible working hours, to help you develop a healthy work-life balance
- A competitive salary and a generous equity stake in the company (you’re working hard to make the company successful, so we believe you should share generously in the reward!)
- Staff discount
- Flexible benefits platform where you can choose your own perks!