Freelance Copywriter (full time hours)
At Thread, our mission is to make it easier for people to dress well, and our content plays a huge part in that. Through our blog articles, social media content, and onsite copy, we share expert-level style advice with our customers, so that they have the insights they need to dress with confidence. With our content writer role, you’ll have an exciting opportunity to be a part of that process and to help establish a distinctive tone of voice that differentiates us from other retailers.
What sets our content apart
- We use our content as a means to debunk old-school style myths that only limit personal style
- We feature non-models in all of our editorial shoots to make our content feel reflective of the world we live in
- We always look for opportunities to personalise our content, and as part of that, we tailor many of our articles and emails to our users’ unique preferences.
- We don’t settle for generic, filler copy. We want our copy to always feel useful, meaningful, and human.
What this role is all about
- We’re on the look out for a talented copywriter with a discerning eye for grammar, an affinity for writing pithy short-form copy, and a knack for distilling complicated complex copy into digestible information. This role would be responsible for the following:
- Oversee all paid social copy across menswear and womenswear
- Attend and contribute to regular paid content and paid social brainstorms and sprints
- Brief and oversee freelance contributors as needed
- Write marketing email copy – from content newsletters to on-boarding and transactional emails
- Write all copy related to our promos – from emails to push notifications to onsite banners
- Contribute to other ad-hoc content tasks as needed
- Being a guardian of our tone of voice, helping to push it in exciting new directions
What we are looking for in an ideal candidate
- 2-3 years of copywriting experience with a proven record for writing compelling short-form copy
- Experience writing marketing email copy
- Experience writing paid social copy
- Insights into best practices across paid social and email marketing
- Exceptional eye for grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Desire to work for a fast-paced startup
- Demonstrated ability in creative writing
- Ability to proactively prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects within time constraints and with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to think creatively, strategically, and technically
- An openness to feedback and constructive criticism
- Strong communications skills and ability to work effectively across teams
- Proficiency in using Content Management Systems and Google slides, sheets, and docs
Benefits of working at Thread
- The chance to break new ground and develop cutting-edge techniques for acquiring new customers online
- Learn from some of the best people in the industry by working directly with our exceptional team: Kieran O’Neill (CEO) has built two products that scaled to millions of users; Ed Snelson (Head of Data Science) worked on some of the hardest machine learning challenges at Bing; Tom May (Head of Product & Growth) led growth at Songkick; Alexandra Allcott (Head of Brand) helped built some of the world’s biggest brands at Wieden+Kennedy; Terry Betts (Head of Business Development) ran the £500m menswear business at Selfridges and co-founded Mr. Porter; etc
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skill set
- Be part of a collaborative, values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we’re doing this in our culture deck
- Relaxed, sociable work environment with lots of responsibility and autonomy
- Regular company socials. In the past this has included fun things like comedy shows, axe throwing, quizzes, bowling, and weekly yoga classes!
- Choose your own work equipment. It’s important to us that you’re set up for success in your role and comfortable in your setting
- Even when we’re not fully remote, we offer working-from-home opportunities and flexible working hours, to help you develop a healthy work-life balance
- Equal parental leave. We offer 4 months fully paid leave for both mothers and fathers following the birth or adoption of their child